Renfrewshire Council

Home Boarding of Dogs

If you are paid to look after other people's dogs in your home, you will need a licence.

The maximum number of dogs that may be boarded at any one time will be limited depending on the size of your home.

Only dogs from the same household can be boarded together, unless the premises have been specifically assessed by an inspector for the boarding of dogs from different households.

A local authority may authorise an officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect licensed premises, all new applications will receive a visit from an authorised local authority officer and a visit will always be undertaken following receipt of a renewal application.

How to apply for a licence

Applicants should complete the application form which is available in the related content.

On request an application form will be forwarded to the applicant for completion by post.

On receipt of the application form the council will arrange for an officer to carry out an inspection of the premises to ensure its suitability for housing animals.

A licence may or may not be issued dependent on the findings of the inspection.

  • Visit the 'Community Resources fees and charges' page for current cost of a licence
  • You must contact us immediately with any changes of circumstances

Application forms

Application forms can be found in the 'related media' section of this page.

Conditions of licence

Each licence issued is subject to standard conditions that are imposed on all animal boarding establishments licensed by us. In addition to the standard conditions, a licence may also contain special conditions that are only applicable to your premises.  Please read the licence conditions and guidance which can be found in the 'related media' section of this page.

If you are refused a licence

Any person aggrieved by a refusal to be granted a licence, or by any conditions to which a licence is subject, may appeal to a Sheriff who may give such directions regarding the licence or its conditions as it thinks proper.


Inspections may be carried out annually by a Public Health Enforcement Officer (Environmental Health).