Renfrewshire Council

How to prepare for Universal Credit

Here you will find information on how you can prepare for Universal Credit.

Bank account

Universal Credit will be paid into a bank, building society or credit union account, but not a Post Office card account.  You will need to make sure that you have an accessible account for UC to be paid into. 

Some Credit Union accounts are not suitable for Universal Credit payments. If you are planning to have your UC paid into a Credit Union account, please contact your Credit Union to see whether the account you have can accept UC payments.

If you need more information on the range of bank or building society accounts available, please click on the following under 'related links':

  • Choosing a bank account for your benefit payments
  • Fee-free basic bank accounts
  • Managing your fee-free basic bank account
  • Banks and the services they provide

Email address

Claims for UC can only be made online and you will need an email address before you make a claim. You will also manage your claim online. If you have a partner, your partner will need their own email address.

For help getting online, see our Getting Online article under 'related articles'.