Renfrewshire Council

Do I need a permit?

At this time, vehicles that need a permit are allowed to visit Linwood's Household Waste Recycling Centre only.

From 3 August if you wish to visit a Household Waste Recycling Centre in a commercial-style vehicle, you must apply for a permit prior to entry.

You will not require a permit if you are visiting by car, unless you are towing a trailer.

Vehicles Allowed on Site WITH a permitVehicles NOT Allowed on Site
  • Vans less than 3.5t weight (max 4 wheels)
  • Pick-ups
  • Cars, vans and pick-ups with a single axle trailer less than 1.8 m long x 1.2 m wide
  • Mini bus (8 or more seats)
  • Vehicles over 3.5t weight
  • Tipper vehicles
  • Vehicles with a trailer more than 1.8 m long x 1.2 m wide
  • Vehicles with twin axle trailers
  • A vehicle with commercial waste

Why do I need a permit?

A number of commercial businesses and traders are attempting to use these facilities free of charge. This isn't fair to residents and is illegal. The permit system aims to reduce the cost to Renfrewshire residents of illegal use of our HWRCs by businesses.

Our recycling centres are for Renfrewshire residents and should only be used for disposing or recycling household waste.

The permit system will show us who is a genuine Renfrewshire resident disposing of household waste.

Where can I apply for a permit?

Apply here - HWRC Permit

A permit confirmation will be emailed to you.

You will need to bring a paper or electronic copy of the permitphotographic ID and proof of residency e.g a Driving Licence with a Council tax or utility bill. Failure to produce any of these documents will result in refusal to tip.

The permit must be in the name and details of the driver of the vehicle.

Please be aware that due to demand you may be asked to come back another day. Last entry for vans, pickup or trailers is 17:30.and all sites close at 6pm.

What happens when I arrive at the HWRC?

The HWRC attendant will check that the information on the permit matches the ID and residency documents. The attendant will also inspect the waste to ensure it matches the declaration on the permit.

Can I reuse my permit?

Permits are valid for one day only, for a maximum of three visits.

Permits are only valid for the date and vehicle indicated on the permit.

All waste brought to the site may be subject to inspection by an enforcement officer and, if deemed to be commercial waste, access will be refused.

We reserve the right to undertake investigations relating to the waste which is presented at the HWRC and to restrict access if false or inaccurate information is provided to Council staff or through the online booking service.

More information

If you're still not sure if you need a permit, please contact us using the details below.