Renfrewshire Council

Overpayment of Housing Benefit

Overpayment of Housing Benefit


If you fail to tell us about a change in your circumstances, we may pay you too much Housing Benefit.

This could happen if you have a change to your circumstances which means your entitlement to benefit is reduced. If you do not notify us of your change we will continue to pay your Housing Benefit based on your old circumstances. If this happens, you may be asked to repay the extra money in full.  

These are some examples of the changes you must tell us about:

  • change of address
  • a change to your rent
  • children who leave school or start working
  • adults who move in or out of your home
  • marriage, separation or divorce
  • if you or your partner if you have one, or anyone else in your household has a change in income
  • if you or your partner if you have one, has an increase in capital or savings

If we have paid you too much Housing Benefit we will write to tell you.