Renfrewshire Council

Insurance for homes affected by flooding

Flood Re is a joint Government and insurance industry initiative to enable you to find affordable insurance for qualifying properties that are at risk of flooding or have been flooded.

Part of their work also involves helping you find out more about flood risks to your home and how you can help to reduce them.

Flood Re works in the background, helping the insurance industry offer more affordable insurance to everyone with eligible properties that may be at risk of flooding.

What do I need to do?

  • Talk to your insurer and ask them if your home is eligible for the Flood Re Scheme (details of eligibility are set out on the Flood Re website).
  • Be prepared to shop around.
  • Remember, finding the right advice and products is important.

Do I make my claims through Flood Re?


No. You will continue to buy insurance and make claims through your insurer in the same way as you do now.

How does Flood Re work?

Flood Re work behind the scenes, taking on the high flood risk elements of your home insurance.

It works like this:

  • Flood Re collects an annual tax from home insurers who will contribute £180m to a fund each year that they manage centrally.
  • Your insurer passes on any high flood risk part of your policy to Flood Re, so you don't have to do a thing.
  • Flood Re then takes responsibility for the flood risk part of your policy and if you make a valid claim on your insurance we'll reimburse the insurer from the central Flood Re fund.

With this support from us, insurers should be able to provide affordable insurance, even on those homes which are most at risk as they no longer have to pay the cost of the flood claim.

Over time, we estimate Flood Re will benefit over 350,000 households by providing access to those more affordable policies.