Renfrewshire Council

Carers allowance

To claim Carer's Allowance, you need to be at least 16 years old and look after a disabled person for at least 35 hours a week.

The disabled person you care for needs to be receiving Attendance Allowance or the middle or higher rate Care Components of Disability Living Allowance.

If you work, you can earn up to £110 per week net earnings (after tax, National Insurance and half of any pension contributions you make) and still claim.

It doesn't matter whether you are related, or where you live, as long as you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for the person.

If you are awarded Carer's Allowance and you claim any of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income- based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit, or
  • Council Tax Benefit

you will need to declare them as income. However, you will receive extra premiums in these benefits which may actually increase the amount you receive.

If the person you care for normally lives alone, some of their benefits may be reduced if you claim Carer's Allowance. It is recommended that you get a benefit check done for both of you to make sure.

Your local Advice Works office can help you with this.

If you receive certain other benefits, for example, retirement pension, widow's benefit or bereavement benefit, you may not be paid Carer's Allowance.

However, you will be entitled to the Carer Premium when calculating means-tested benefits.

You can get a form DS700 from your local Department for Work and Pensions office or apply online at the Department of Work and Pensions website.

If the person you are caring for dies, you can continue to receive Carer's Allowance for eight weeks.

If the person you are caring for goes into hospital, their Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance care component stops after four weeks in hospital (or after twelve weeks if he or she is a child).

This means that your Carer's Allowance also stops at this point. You should inform the Carer's Allowance Unit at Palatine House, Lancaster Road, Preston, PR1 1HB or phone 0845 608 4321 and reclaim when/if the person returns home.

If you are entitled to:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit, or
  • Council Tax Benefit

there is an eight week run-on period when you will still receive the Carer Premium.