Renfrewshire Council

*** This information might not be up to date. Check our Coronavirus (COVID-19) pages for the latest information ***

Please bear with us as we concentrate resources on delivering essential services.

Latest information and guidance on Coronavirus and benefits, money and debt advice

How to apply for Council Tax Reduction

To claim Council Tax Reduction, you must:

  • be liable to pay the Council Tax for the property, if not you can't claim this reduction

  • you must live in the property you are applying for

If you are living with a partner, whether married or not, you will probably both be responsible for the same Council Tax bill. You should only make one application between you, which you both need to sign.

How to apply

You can now apply for Council Tax Reduction using MyAccount - the new way to use council services online. Click the 'Apply for Council Tax Reduction' button above.


How Council Tax Reduction is awarded

The amount of Council Tax Reduction you may receive depends on the following:

  • The amount of money coming into your household

  • The amount of any savings you (and your partner) have

  • Your personal circumstances (such as your children who live with you, if you are disabled or if anyone else lives with you)be required to pay rent for the property

  • The amount of your Council Tax bill

Council Tax Reduction is assessed using rules agreed by Parliament.

The Council Tax Reduction awarded to you is to help with the cost of your Council Tax, not any other living costs, but if you do pay rent you may also be entitled to Housing Benefit.

The maximum Council Tax Reduction that can be awarded is 100% of your Council Tax charge but water and sewerage costs are not included; you must pay these yourself.