Renfrewshire Council

Biscuit and sweet tins

These items can be placed in your green bin or in one of our mixed recycling container at our recycling points or our household waste recycling centres.

Biscuit & Sweet tins can be recycled by placing them into the green bin.

Before putting these items in the green bin ensure to:

  • Empty and rinse items - left over foods or liquids can contaminate other recyclables
  • Empty left over foods into the brown bin

You can leave labels on - these are removed in the recycling process.

Metal lids and caps on glass containers, e.g. metal jam jar lids, can be left on to recycle with glass. These are different types of metal to cans/tins/aerosols and are recycled in a different way. By putting the lids/caps back on glass jars and bottles it reduces the chance of them getting lost through the sorting process.

Your local Household Recycling Waste Centre will also accept biscuit and sweet tins. 

Blue Bin ✘

Green Bin ✔

Brown Bin ✘

Food Caddy ✘

Grey Bin ✘

Household Waste Recycling Centre ✔






How should I recycle food cans?

  • Give cans a quick wash out to remove any food remnants.
  • Labels do not need to be removed.
  • Squash them (if possible) to save space in your recycling bin.
  • Remove the lid completely when opening the tin. Empty the contents and then rinse out the tin. The edges can be sharp so carefully place the lid into the bottom of the tin, then slightly squash it so the lid does not fall out.

Every Can Counts

To help us recycle our drinks cans wherever we are - whether at work, at college, at an event or festival or simply out and about - the Every Can Counts campaign is working hard with a range of organisations to provide drinks can recycling facilities.

Did you know that one in every three drinks cans sold in the UK are drunk away from home? The metal these cans are made from is endlessly recyclable, so it's important that it is saved rather than thrown away. Especially when you consider that each can could be recycled and be back on sale as another can - in just 60 days.