Renfrewshire Council

Caravan and camp site licence

The Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960prohibits the use of land as a caravan site unless the occupier holds a site licence issued by the local authority.

There are some exceptions:

  • A caravan sited with the curtilage of a dwelling and its use is incidental to the dwelling. This means it cannot be occupied separately.
  • A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club.
  • Sites of up to 5 caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only.
  • Sites occupied by the local authority. These are usually travelling persons sites.
  • Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen.
  • A site for tents only can be used for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.

Conditions of licence

You must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site - planning permission must be obtained. A licence will not be issued if you have had a site licence revoked within 3 years of the current application.

Conditions may be attached to a licence to cover any of the following:

  • restricting when caravans can be on the site for human habitation or restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time;
  • controlling the types of caravans on the site;
  • controlling the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles including tents;
  • to ensure steps are taken enhance the land, including planting/replanting bushes and trees;
  • fire safety and fire fighting controls; and/or
  • to ensure that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained.

How to apply

Please note that where a licence is required for a permanent caravan site use you must have planning permission before a licence can be issued.

  • Applicants should complete the application form which is available below. On request an application form will be forwarded to the applicant for completion by post.
  • On receipt of the application form the council will arrange for an officer to carry out an inspection of the premises to ensure its suitability for housing animals.
  • Dependent on the findings of the inspection a licence may or may not be issued.
  • There is no fee for this kind of licence.
  • The application will be processed in 21 working days.

You can download an application form below:

Caravan and Camping Site Application Form (pdf - 566kb)

You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this document. Download Acrobat Reader.

  • There will be an initial inspection when you apply and then each year after.
  • The licence lasts for one year. Before the renewal date, we will write to you to let you know the licence is due to be renewed.
  • Please let us know about any changes of circumstances to us.

If you are refused a licence

If you are not happy with the refusal of a licence or by any of the conditions you are subject to you can appeal to the Sheriff who will review your application and may give us new directions on issuing the licence or the conditions.