Renfrewshire Council

Self-isolation support grant

What the self-isolation support grant is, who can get it, what the criteria is, how to apply for the grant, who to contact for more help and advice.

A £500 grant is available if you are in low paid employment or self-employment, in receipt of low income benefits and will lose income as a result of having to self-isolate to prevent the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).

The grant is also available to people who have responsibility for a child, or are a carer for someone, who is having to self-isolate.

It will provide people with the financial support they need to comply with the Test & Protect Service's requirement to self-isolate during the 10 day period in which they are unable to work.

To be eligible for this grant you must:

  • have been told to self-isolate at the request of NHS Test & Protect, or you are applying on behalf of a child under 16 who has been told to self-isolate by NHS Test & Protect
  • be employed or self-employed
  • be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result
  • be in receipt of a qualifying benefit, eg. council tax, or have a low income
  • be aged 16 or over.
  • have responsibility for a child, or be the carer of someone who has been asked to self-isolate

You can apply online for a self-isolation support grant on MyAccount. You can do this any time during the 28 days from the date you start to self-isolate.

You will need to provide:

  • your Test & Protect details such as the date you started self-isolating and any reference numbers you have been given
  • personal details such as name, date of birth, address, and contact details
  • proof of employment such as a recent payslip (if you are not self-employed)
  • proof of trading income (if you are self-employed)
  • proof that your business is affected by self-isolation (if you are self-employed)
  • bank account (or building society) details for receiving the payment.

If you need help or advice about applying for the grant, you can contact AdviceWorks at or call 0300 300 1238.