Renfrewshire Council

Sector specific support for businesses during coronavirus

Support for specific sectors including retail, hospitality, leisure, food retailers, cafes, restaurants, bars, taxi drivers, private car hire drivers, childcare providers, mobile and home-based close contact services, private landlords, and the arts, music, creative communities.

Advice for sector specific businesses including:

Arts, music and creative industries

Creative Scotland has a list of funding and resources available to those in the creative community affected by coronavirus (COVID-19). 

The funding is open to individuals, groups, or organisations, supporting a wide range of activities in the arts, screen, and creative industries.

Café, pub and restaurant outdoor seating

If you have a cafe, pub or restaurant and you want to adapt your premise to provide outdoor tables and seating, you will need a 'pavement permit'. You can request this by emailing our Roads team at or calling 0300 300 0380.

If you want to serve alcohol outside to customers, you will need an occasional licence. See the occasional licenses page for more details and the application form. You can also get advice from our Licensing team by emailing

If you are providing a cover over your outdoor seating area, such as a pergola, you may need a building warrant and planning permission. For more information on building warrants, contact our Building Standards team by email to For help with planning, email the Planning team at or call 0141 618 7835.

As restrictions are lifted and businesses reopen this summer, we're spreading the message to 'Spend Local' - and you can help us to do this.

Cafés, pubs and restaurants with outdoor tables and seating can apply for free pavement barriers designed to help you mark your outdoor space in an attractive way. Barriers carry our Spend Local artwork and help to promote the message that we want local people to support their local hospitality businesses.

This offer is available to any café, pub or restaurant in Renfrewshire with a 'pavement permit'.

To register an interest in receiving free pavement barriers, please email our Economic Development team at

Please be aware that a limited number of barriers are available on a first-come, first-served basis. We aim to fulfil each request but will contact you if we are unable to supply the number of barriers requested.

Barriers will be delivered directly to your business premises. We ask you to provide a picture of the barriers once in place - this will allow us to promote the scheme and also acknowledge that your business is a participant. Pictures can also be emailed to

Charities, community groups and third sector organisations

See a list of organisations, support and tools that may be able to help if you have a charity, community group or a third sector organisation.

Childcare providers

The Temporary Restrictions Fund supports childcare providers if they are currently open and providing care for vulnerable children, children of key workers and children eligible for funded places for two-year olds.

This includes:

  • providers of day care for children (operating at any registered capacity)
  • childminders who provide childcare to 12 or more children
  • out of school care providers.

You can apply to the Temporary Restrictions Fund on the website. You'll need to register or sign in to make a claim. If you have several premises, you must make a claim for each one of them. 

You can apply for Round 3, covering the four-week period from 1 to 31 March 2021, from Wednesday 7 April until Tuesday 4 May 2021.

Childcare providers can also access the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme (.GOV.UK website) and the Statutory Sick Pay Rebate Scheme (.GOV.UK website).

Food retailers

If you're a food retailer and you want to start doing takeaways or deliveries, read our advice for food businesses on takeaway and delivery options.

Mobile and home-based close contact services

This Scottish Government fund was for owners and operators of mobile and home-based close contact service businesses such as:

  • beauty, nail, spa and wellness services
  • alternative therapies and complementary medicine
  • body modification services, such as tattooing or piercing
  • art and fashion services, such as dress fitting or indoor photography
  • registered driving instructors in Scotland

This fund has now closed. Find out more about the Mobile and Home Based Close Contact Services Fund on the website.

Private landlords loan scheme

This scheme offers eligible landlords up to 100% of lost rental income for a single property. It supports private-sector landlords not classified as businesses who have five properties or less and have lost rental income due to tenants unable to pay rent because of coronavirus through a short-term emergency interest free loan.

Find more details about the Private Rent Sector Landlord COVID-19 Loan Scheme on the GOV.SCOT website.

Retail, hospitality and leisure

Retail, hospitality, and leisure businesses may be eligible for Scottish Government grants supporting businesses impacted or closed due to current restrictions. Find out more about grants for businesses closed or impacted by coronavirus.

Taxi drivers and private car hire drivers

We contacted all licensed taxi and private hire vehicle drivers in Renfrewshire to invite them to verify their eligibility for a one-off £1,500 grant from the Scottish Government to help with fixed costs and loss of income resulting from the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Applications to this scheme are now closed. If you have a query about an application you submitted to us, please email our team at