Renfrewshire Council

Annual leave information for staff

Taking your annual leave, flexible working and coronavirus related absence, your annual leave entitlement, check your annual leave, buy additional annual leave, book, carry over or change your annual leave.

Although holiday plans may be restricted due to coronavirus (COVID-19), it is still important to take your annual leave.

Even if you cannot go away for your holidays, it is important that you:

  • have some time away from work to relax and recharge
  • balance your work and life during the pandemic
  • look after yourself while continuing to provide critical public services. 

Take your annual leave throughout the year

We encourage you to take your annual leave entitlement regularly and proportionately throughout 2021. This will make sure that if we return to normal operations, there aren't a lot of staff off at the same time, putting additional pressure on services and other colleagues. 

You should try to take a minimum of 6 months' worth of annual leave between 1 January 2021 and 31 July 2021. 

For example, if you work full time, 5 days per week and you have 20 days annual leave entitlement, you should take a minimum of 10 days' worth of annual leave between 1 January and 31 July 2021.

It is important that you do not get to the end of 2021 with a lot of annual leave that you haven't taken yet.

Flexible working and coronavirus (COVID-19) related absence

If you have childcare or extra caring responsibilities due to coronavirus (COVID-19), speak to your line manager in the first instance to discuss flexible working options or coronavirus (COVID-19) related absence. 

If you're a manager and you need to record a team member's absence due to coronavirus (COVID-19, either due to illness or caring responsibilities, see the .