Thomas Coats Memorial Baptist Church
Opened in 1894, Thomas Coats Memorial Baptist Church stands in Paisley's High Street and was built by the Coats family in memory of Thomas Coats. Thomas, who died in 1883, was one of the founders of the world famous firm of thread manufacturers, J & P Coats Ltd. Thomas was also a devout Baptist Church member and a supporter of many local societies and charities.
The church was designed by Hippolyte J. Blanc, an Edinburgh based architect, who had previously designed St James Church in Underwood Road, Paisley. Created in redstone, the church is Gothic in design and has been completed with pointed arches, pinnacles and gargoyles.
The ground plan is in the shape of a cross with seating for almost 1000 worshippers. Its impressive tower, forming an outstanding feature on the Paisley skyline, is topped with a crown and spire and stretches to 240ft above sea level.
The church's vestibule has a mosaic floor made up of tiny pieces of coloured marble, depicting the traditional symbols of the Four Evangelists. Its Baptistry is made of black-veined white marble and is large enough to allow for total immersion, which is the traditional Baptist practice. It also still has its original 'modesty curtain'. The church is full of fine carvings and beautiful features and has been described as the 'Baptist Cathedral of Europe'.
Find out more
To find out about church services and activities or to find out about visiting please contact the church by:
phone: 0141 587 8992
- email: email@example.com
- phone: 0300 300 1188
- fax: 0141 618 5351
- write to: Paisley Central Library, Heritage and Information, 68 High Street, Paisley, PA1 2BB
Wednesday, January 22, 2014
- Benefits and debt advice
- Births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships
- Community and living
- Council and government
- Council Tax
- Education and learning
- Jobs and careers
- Leisure and culture
- Planning and building standards
- Rubbish and recycling
- Social care and health
- Transport and Streets