Inchinnan location map
Inchinnan lies in the north east of Renfrewshire, on the southern bank of the River Clyde and close to the Black Cart River.
Inchinnan in 1654 (above) from map by Johan Blaeu
From early times travellers crossed the rivers Black Cart and White Cart to Inchinnan first by a ford and later by a ferry.
In 1759, a nine-arch bridge was built across the point where the two rivers joined. Since ships heading
up-river to Paisley could not sail under the bridge without lowering their masts, in 1786 a canal cut was dug to bypass it. A swing bridge was built over
the canal. The nine-arch bridge was destroyed by flood in 1809, and was replaced in 1812 by two bridges.
The swing-bridge was replaced in 1923 with a Bascule bridge which is still in operation.
William Beardmore and Company opened the Inchinnan Airship Construction Works in Inchinnan during the first world war. The company also built houses nearby to accommodate workers. The houses became known as "Beardmore Cottages" and are still popular homes today.
The Works produced a total of 4 airships. The model R34, pictured, was 720 feet (219 metres) long and was the first aircraft to make a return journey across the Atlantic and back.
The airship factory closed in 1922 and the site was taken over by the India Tyre Rubber Company which continued to operate until 1981.
In 1929 the tyre company built a magnificent art deco style office building which has been refurbished by Graham Technology, its current owners.
- e-mail: email@example.com
- phone: 0300 300 1188
- fax: 0141 618 5351
- write to: Paisley Central Library, Heritage and Information, 68 High Street, Paisley, PA1 2BB
Thursday, June 19, 2014
- Benefits and debt advice
- Community and living
- Council and government
- Council Tax
- Education and learning
- Jobs and careers
- Leisure and culture
- Planning and building standards
- Rubbish and recycling
- Social care and health
- Transport and Streets