Landlords and agents

On this page, you can find out about:


Landlord registration

From 30 April 2006 all private landlords, with some limited exceptions, have had to apply for registration in the register of landlords.

The aim of landlord registration is to make sure that all private landlords in Scotland are 'fit and proper' people to be letting residential property. The requirement to register helps us to remove the worst landlords from the market and protect tenants and the wider community from the impact of antisocial behaviour and mismanaged property.

How to apply for landlord registration

There are two ways to apply for landlord registration. The registration fee for a set three year period is currently £55, and you must also pay an additional £11 for each property you let.

The easiest way to register is online at the landlord registration website. A 10% discount applies to online applications.

Alternatively, you can apply by downloading and completing this application form:

Registration of private landlord application form (PDF)

Completed application forms should be returned to the licensing section at the address shown below together with the appropriate application fee. Please note that the 10% discount is only available to online registrations.

Renfrewshire Council
Licensing Section
Renfrewshire House
Cotton Street
Paisley PA1 1TT

For more information about the registration process, please e-mail or contact us by phone on 0300 300 0300.

Landlord Accreditation Scotland

Renfrewshire council entered in to a formal partnership with Landlord Accreditation Scotland (LAS) in October 2009 and we encourage all landlords and agents to become members. Accreditation will:

  • provide benefits for both private landlords and their tenants
  • promote best practice and continuous improvement of standards
  • provide training opportunities for landlords
  • provide advice to landlords and tenants, and
  • give tenants reassurance that their landlord will operate to high standards

Being awarded accredited status is a method of standing out from other landlords and letting agents. To become accredited, landlords and letting agents must adhere to the 'Scottish core standards for accredited landlords'. Landlords who already carry out good management practices will find themselves well on the way to achieving these standards.

Scottish core standards for accredited landlords (PDF)

Renfrewshire private landlord forum

Landlord Forums give landlords an opportunity to meet up with other landlords, agents and a variety of council departments involved in the private rented sector. A number of forums are held in Paisley throughout the year and registered landlords will be contacted directly in advance of each meeting. Should you wish to register your interest in attending please contact us at

Regular newsletters are produced by the council for those who are unable to attend the forums. These newsletters summarise the issues raised at the meetings and provide other relevant information for landlords.

You can download a copy of the latest landlord newsletter by clicking on the link below:

Landlord Matters: February 2016 (PDF)
Landlord Matters: March 2014 (PDF)

Landlord information pack

Renfrewshire Council has produced information to help new and existing landlords better understand their responsibilities. This pack contains downloadable leaflets on a range of issues, such as gas safety, local housing allowance and inventories.

The Repairing Standard

The repairing standard was introduced in 2007 and applies to most private sector tenancies.

In order to meet the requirements of the repairing standard, you must make sure that:

  • Your property is wind and water tight.
  • The structure and exterior of the property are in reasonable repair.
  • Space heating, water services and utilities are in proper working order.
  • All fixtures, fittings and appliances are in reasonable repair and proper working order.
  • Smoke alarms have been properly fitted.

You must ensure that your tenants are made aware of the repairing standard legislation at the start of their tenancy. If a tenant informs you of a problem with the property, you should carry out the necessary repairs as soon as possible. If you fail to carry out the repairs within a reasonable time, your tenant may choose to refer the matter to the Private Rented Housing Panel (PRHP).

Before the PRHP is able to intervene, tenants must provide evidence their landlord has failed to undertake a repair to a property. Where a landlord is found to have been negligent in not completing a repair, the PRHP can serve an enforcement order or a rent relief order. Landlords who fail to maintain their properties also risk being removed from the register of landlords.

For more information about your responsibilities for repairs, visit the Private Rented Housing Panel's website.

Landlords and Houses in Multiple Occupation

If you rent your property out to three or more unrelated people, you will need a Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) licence. Before an HMO licence can be granted, you must be able to show that:

  • you meet your responsibilities in relation to common repairs
  • all property is clean and well maintained
  • all relevant gas and electrical certification is up to date, and
  • fire escape routes are well maintained

Anti-social behaviour

All landlords have responsibility for monitoring and dealing with complaints relating to anti social behaviour by their tenants. The council has private sector housing officers in the Anti Social Investigations Team (Asist) who investigate complaints against tenants of private landlords.

The Asist Team will also offer advice and support to landlords on tackling anti social behaviour. For more information on antisocial behaviour, please download the below leaflet:

Anti social behaviour (PDF)

Section 11 and illegal evictions

Landlords cannot evict tenants from their property unless they follow certain legal procedures. New legislation under Section 11 of the Homelessness Persons Act 2003 also requires landlords to notify the council of their intention to evict tenants.

Helping to house homeless people

The council works with over 60 landlords in Renfrewshire with its Deposit Guarantee Scheme to help house homeless people.

Many of these tenants are single people looking for one bedroom accommodation and cannot afford deposits for accommodation. The Deposit Guarantee Scheme will provide written guarantees to landlords in place of a cash deposit.

The Deposit Guarantee Officer provides continuous support to landlords to ensure that:

  • rent is paid directly to landlords
  • relevant lease agreements are prepared for landlords
  • an inventory of the property is completed
  • checks on tenants and property are undertaken regularly
  • landlords are allowed to claim against the deposit guarantee scheme should loss or damage occur

Landlords wishing more information about the scheme, or who are interested in making available suitable property and working with the deposit guarantee scheme should contact 0300 300 0222  or email 

Empty Homes Officer

The Scottish Government has part fund an Empty Homes Officer Post to work between Renfrewshire and West Dunbartonshire Councils, in the Homes Again Renfrewshire initiative. 

The Empty Homes Officer can work with homeowners of empty properties by providing support and assistance to reinstate properties as homes again.

If you have or are aware of an empty property that could be brought back into use you can contact the new Empty Homes Officer on 0141 618 6262 or you can report an empty home at

Find out more

If you would like more general advice or information, or wish to comment on any aspect of the information provided on this page, please contact us.

You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the documents on this page. Download Acrobat Reader here.

Friday, February 12, 2016