Buying a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate
Registration offices in Paisley, Johnstone and Renfrew can issue you with a copy of a birth, death or marriage certificate registered at any registration office in Scotland from 1855 until 2011.
Births, deaths and marriages registered in 2012 and civil partnership certificates can only be issued from the local authority in which the registration was completed.
For copies of certificates for events that occurred outwith Scotland, you must apply to the country in which the event took place.
What information do I need to provide?
The information required varies depending on the type of certificate(s) you are requesting.
The information needed for each type is:
- Birth certificate - full forename and surname; date and place of birth; father's/parent's full forename and surname; and mother's full forename, surname and maiden surname.
- Death certificate - full forename and surname of deceased; date of birth or age at death; and date and place of death.
- Marriage certificate - full forename and surname of bridegroom; full forename and maiden surname of bride; and date and place of marriage.
- Civil partnership certificate - full forename and surname of civil partners; and date and place of civil partnership registration.
How do I apply?
You can apply by phone, in person or by post.
To apply by phone, contact our Johnstone Registration Office on 0141 618 4909. You will need to provide the required information displayed above and pay the relevant fee by debit or credit card at the time of ordering the certificates.
To apply in person, visit one of the offices listed below and make sure you have the required information displayed above and the relevant fee (this can be paid by credit/debit card, cash or cheque).
Opening hours for each office can be found by clicking the link:
How much does it cost?
A copy birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate registered in the current year (or 4 weeks from the date of registration) costs £10.
A copy birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate registered prior to the current calendar year costs £15. If more than one copy of the same certificate is required, the first cost will be £15 and further copies will cost £10 each.
Back to top
- Benefits and debt advice
- Community and living
- Clubs and groups
- Community councils
- Community planning
- Consumer Advice and Protection
- Crime and Law Enforcement
- Emergencies Planning
- Equality and human rights
- Families First
- Life Events
- Local Area Committees
- Council and government
- Education and learning
- Jobs and careers
- Leisure and culture
- Planning and building standards
- Social care and health
- Transport and Streets