Welcome to Renfrewshire!
Visit Renfrewshire if you're interested in history
Visit Renfrewshire if you want to shop
Visit Renfrewshire if you want fresh air and activity
- Paisley Abbey is the birthplace of the royal house of Stewart.
- Elderslie is celebrated as the birthplace of William Wallace.
- Paisley Museum has the biggest and best collection of Paisley Shawls and patterns in the world. Visit the Weavers' Cottage and Sma' Shot Cottages and learn about their skills.
- Paisley's sewing thread kept the world's clothes together. See the town's glorious legacy of architecture gifted by the mill owners.
Different areas and communities
Fresh air and activity
- Clyde Muirshiel Regional Park's two centres in Renfrewshire offer both low level woodland walks and rugged moorland terrain with stunning views, as well as water sports.
- Gleniffer Braes Country Park on the southern edge of Paisley, has views over the whole Clyde valley, as well as woodland and moorland walks.
- The Renfrewshire countryside has a network of quiet roads, cycle routes and way marked walks. For more information visit our walks information page.
- Xscape at Braehead is a multi-activity centre where you can ski or snow-board on real snow, climb, bowl, play golf or football, see a film and much more - all under one roof, any time of the year.
- Braehead on the banks of the Clyde, is one of the largest shopping centres in Scotland.
- Renfrewshire's towns and villages have a wide range of small independent shops and high street chains.
With excellent road, rail and air links Renfrewshire is easy to get to and a great place to tour from. See the travel information section for more detail.
Within day-visiting range of Renfrewshire are Glasgow, Scotland's largest and most vibrant city, Edinburgh, the historic capital, Stirling, gateway to the Highlands, Loch Lomond, the Burns Country and the Clyde Coast.
With over 3,000 beds in a wide variety of hotels and guest houses, our comprehensive range will suit all tastes. Renfrewshire has it all - 5 star luxury accommodation, efficient business hotels belonging to the leading national chains and comfortable, homely guest houses and B and Bs where the warmth and individuality of the host and hostess will really enhance your holiday. Several medium size independent hotels add to the variety, offering a high quality service.
Barnbrock Campsite provides excellent camping facilities and is run by Clyde Muirshiel Park. The campsite is located between Lochwinnoch and Kilmacolm just off the B786. For more information please phone +44 (0)1505 614 791 or visit the Clyde Muirshiel Park website.
Find out more
- Community and living
- Council and government
- Education and learning
- Jobs and careers
- Leisure and culture
- Planning and building standards
- Social care and health
- Transport and Streets