Renfrewshire Council

Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) will replace six key benefits and tax credits with a single monthly payment. Universal Credit is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and aims to make the welfare system for working age customers simpler.

UC will replace the following benefits and tax credits;

  • Housing Benefit

  • Income Support
  • Income Based Jobseekers Allowance

  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance

  • Child Tax Credits

  • Working Tax Credits

People who already receive any of the six benefits and tax credits listed above, will continue to do so unless they have a change in their circumstances which would cause their benefits to be re-assessed. In that case, a new claim for UC would be required.

Housing Benefit

From 1st February 2019, if you claim Universal Credit this will usually include your housing costs (previously Housing Benefit).

Some groups of people will continue to claim Housing Benefit. For example, new claims to Housing Benefit within Renfrewshire can only be considered for;

  • Claimants who have reached Pension Age
  • Claimants who live in supported exempt accommodation
  • Claimants who live in temporary accommodation
  • Claimants who have a Severe Disability Premium included in their Housing Benefit, Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related) or Jobseeker's Allowance (Income Based) award.

Those still eligible to apply for Housing Benefit should continue to do so through Renfrewshire Council.

For everyone else, Universal Credit should be claimed for help with housing costs.