Renfrewshire Council

Building Standards Application Forms and Guidance Notes

Before you build or make any alterations to property - either your home or business premises - you should contact your local building standards office to find out if you need any permissions. 

Building Standards deal with enquiries about: 

  • building warrants

  • completion certificates

  • dangerous buildings

  • demolitions

  • section 50 licensing certificates

Use the links under the Related Links Section on the page to download building standards forms and notes for guidance:

Building warrant application form - this form is for use where you are applying for approval to erect a new building, alter or extend an existing building, convert a building or demolish a building.

Notes for Guidance - these notes for guidance should assist you to apply for a building warrant, the level and type of information required, the fee charges, where to submit the application and what happens after you submit the application.

Notice regarding start of work - applicants are required to inform Building Standards when works for which a building warrant has been granted will commence. This notice is used for this purpose and should either be submitted prior to works commencing or no later than 7 days after commencement.

Electrical Certificate Submission Guidance Note - this note explains what type of electrical certification and what supporting documentation is required for a new installation and for different types of alteration to an electrical circuit.

Amendment to Building Warrant 2003 Act - this form is for use where at any time during the period of your building warrant approval, you need to alter the project by deviating from the approval you will need to apply to amend your building warrant approval. *Please note 2003 Act applies to applications made after 1 May 2005.

Notice of Intention to use approved certifier of Construction - this form is for use where you intend to use an approved certifier of construction for any element of the work you intend to undertake. *Please note 2003 Act applies to applications made after 1 May 2005.

Application for Temporary Occupation/Use 2003 Act -this form is for use where you need to occupy your building before you have been issued with a completion certificate acceptance notice. *Please note 2003 Act applies to applications made after 1 May 2005.

Certificate of Completion 2003 Act - this form is for use where you have completed your works in accordance with the approved plans but have not had a completion certificate acceptance notice issued. *Please note 2003 Act applies to applications made after 1 May 2005.

Building Standards Enquiry Form -this form is used where, either you or a previous owner has, carried out unauthorised work to your property prior to 1st May 2005 or you require copies of any statutory approvals or completion documents associated with previous statutory approvals. 

Please note the fee for this service will be £50 per search plus all reproduction costs but if a visit is required the fee will be £200.

Application to extend Period of Building Warrant Validity - a building warrant is valid for a period of three years from the approval date, this form is for use where you have not completed the works within that period and need to apply for an extension to the period. 

If you find yourself in that position, your extension application should be made within the original three year period.

Section 50 Licensing Certificate -this form is for use where a building standards certificate of suitability is required in association with a new premises Licence under Section 50 of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005.

Completion Certificate where no Building Warrant obtained - Submission 2003 Act -this form should be used where work has been completed that never received Building Warrant Approval but should have prior to works being carried out.

Notice of Finalisation of Design details - Form Q - certification of contractor designed details.

Section 89 Form - this form should be used to apply for the erection and use of a raised platform structure under Section 89 legislation of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982.

Please refer any enquiries you have about building standards or these forms using the contact details below.

Share this page: